Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The Philadelphia Eagles


Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The Philadelphia Eagles
By Stuart Tomlin
For my half of the Go For It On Fourth preview for the 2018 NFL season, I decided to ask fans of every team questions about how they think their team will do this season. Instead of asking just one fan per team, I decided to get as many fans as I could involved. For some teams, that was several. For some teams, that was just one fan. But we very much appreciate everyone who got involved in our Preview for the 2018 Season!
Representing the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles:
Elliot, Scotland, @TheWolfofDonStreet.
Josh, Tranent,
@josh_mcginn.
Lewis, Renfrew.
First off, sum up last season for us.

Elliot:
There’s not really words I can use to describe last season. I blinked and before I knew it we were in the Super Bowl. More than enough has been said about the phenomenal performance that lead to our first Lombardi but along the way with Wentz’ & Sproles’ respective injuries I definitely had my doubts. Blessed to be a birds fan and last season will never be forgotten.

Josh: Last season couldn’t have gone any better with us lifting the Lombardi thanks to Saint Nick.

Lewis: Last season was a dream season. To win our first Super Bowl with a team mostly built up of backups, we were right to be labelled underdogs and I feel we endorsed that to our advantage.

How was your offseason?
Elliot: Off-season’s been somewhat uneventful. I stayed up all night to see our 1st draft pick and we traded it, the Eagles’ social media pages have been all about that amazing Superbowl victory (And so they should be) but it’s left me wondering what moves they are making to try and maintain their current title. I am a very big Darren Sproles fan, so I was glad to see him getting another year on his contract.

Josh: We’ve had an ok off-season, with losing our QB coach and offensive coordinator it was always going to be a big change but I feel we’ve coped okay so far. The acquisition of Michael Bennett could prove huge this year.

Lewis: The off-season showed lots of promise with rookies, particularly with Malcolm Jenkins taking to his mentor role with Tre Sullivan.

Key additions from free agency and the Draft?
Elliot: Nothing has massively jumped out at me from our draft choices, but then again why fix what isn’t broken. I have reasonably high hopes for Haloti Ngata as having experienced players layered into the team sheet seems to be a good move for us right now. Dallas Goedert is a good prospect and I think all bird’s fans have their eye on Jordan Mailata. Interesting choice but hopefully Doug Peterson knows what he’s doing.

Lewis: It was disappointing to see Vinny Curry go along with Brent Celek's retirement but I feel D&!!&$ Goedert is a promising back up to Zach Ertz (once he gets that questionable first name in check). 

What's your hopes for this coming season?
Elliot: 2 TIMES, BACK-TO-BACK SUPERBOWL CHAMPS BABY! Realistically I’d be satisfied with a good season and a play-off appearance.

Josh: It’s always hard trying to repeat but I feel with a decent start under Nick Foles until Wentz returns we could mount a good challenge.

Lewis: Hopes for this season would be to dominate the NFC East and obviously retain the Super Bowl.

What's your thoughts on your starting quarterback?

Elliot: Although Foles has truly proven what he can do with good direction and a focussed mind I have absolutely no doubts that Wentz is going to make a tremendous return to form this season. He has impressed me every step of his short career and I don’t expect him to stop now.

Lewis: I think the sooner we get Carson Wentz back in as starter the better. He's worked hard this off season and I just don't feel that Foles is quite able to play as diverse a system as what Wentz had success with last season.

And your thoughts on your head coach?
Elliot: Doug Peterson is an interesting guy. Can’t honestly say I saw him taking us to the bowl let alone winning it but I give him all the praise in the world for coming through with well thought-out plays and strong player direction even when his team sheet wasn’t looking how he expected. After Chip though, I’m always sceptical of head coaches.

Josh: Doug Pederson is a God in Eagles fans eyes and he’s already coaching under zero pressure which was proved with the Philly special in Minnesota.

Lewis: As far as Doug Pederson is concerned. Best thing to happen to the Eagles since Miracle in the Meadowlands No.2. He does a great job at adapting the playbook to the rosters strengths.

A player that will be key for you this season?
Elliot: I feel like the competitive relationship between both Wentz & Foles will be key to our success this year. They are both very talented guys and really push each other. Foles’ field knowledge and Wentz’ on-field ability makes them operate as 1 strong unit and I can’t wait to see what they do.

Josh: I really believe just like last year, Zach Ertz will be huge for the birds this season, his sheer size alone is enough to frighten defences never mind his athletic ability.

Lewis: This season on offense I think that Carson Wentz is going to be key in getting the offense settled on his return , for defense I feel Malcolm Jenkins is going to be key in making sure the whole team isn't caught up with locker room politics and ensuring the defense bring the hurt.

And who would you happily drive to their next club?
Elliot: No idea what Christian Hackenberg’s doing on the team sheet. Hope Doug knows what he’s doing!
What made you choose to support your team?
Elliot: My old man travels a lot for work and was sent to Philadelphia around the same time I started regularly watching the NFL. I fell in love with the sport and spent a lot of time trying to pick a team. When my Dad returned home he told me about how he had gone to see an Eagles game and brought me back a jersey as a gift. Since that day I’ve never looked back.

Josh: I have family in New Jersey so when they came over to visit about 10 year back they brought us over Philadelphia sports memorabilia, I picked up the grey Eagles t-shirt and that was me. 

Lewis: As far choosing the Eagles was concerned I like what was told to me about them during a discussion with a pal.

For a first-time NFL fan, tell us some reasons why they should support your team?
Elliot: Don’t, we’ve got enough bandwagon fans right now as it is.
Josh: The working class feeling to Philly and the crazy sport fan attitude the stadium has makes it a great team to back.

Lewis: The Eagles are the underdogs that the big guys hate to see do well which made last season all the better.

Compare your team to a European football club.
Elliot: Any relation I make to a European club is almost certainly going to be a stretch but I’m gonna go with Man City. Nobody expected them to win the league, but they’re never taken lightly now.

Josh: My comparison to a European football team is an easy one for me, Hibernian. Didn’t win the cup/Lombardi for many years and have the potential to let you down at any point.

Lewis: Their European football likeness would probably be Atletico Madrid. Don't win a lot but never ruled out of causing an upset.

What's the best-case scenario for you this season?
Elliot: Best-case scenario is 2 TIMES, BACK-TO-BACK SUPERBOWL CHAMPS BABY!

Josh: Best-case scenario is repeat, which obviously won’t be easy.

Lewis: Best-case scenario, Win the Super Bowl.

And what's the worst-case scenario?
Elliot: Worst-case scenario is a 0-16 season, hopefully pre-season isn’t a sign of this being a possibility.
Josh: Worst-case scenario would be missing the playoffs.

Lewis: Worst-case, lose any games to Cowboys/Giants.

Super Bowl Champions, everyone going for you. Can the Eagles repeat, and how do they do so?
Elliot: I don’t think it’s impossible for us to repeat last year. The main thing I hope is that we don’t treat it like it’s a given. It’s going to take just as much, if not more work than last year to win it again but if the coaches remain focussed and the players remain hungry we’re going all the way.
Lewis: I think for the Eagles to come out and dominate like last year, we need to retain discipline, give our QB the same time in the pocket as last year and keep all round discipline.

Predict your record for this season, and how far (if at all) you will go in the postseason.
Elliot: My prediction for the season is somewhat pessimistic (If anything to avoid disappointment.) I imagine we’ll go about 8-8, possibly make the playoffs as a wildcard and go out in the first round. Hope I’m wrong!

Josh: I think we’ll go 12-4 which should be enough to win the east but if it’s not, it might not be enough to get a wild card spot in a stacked NFC.

Lewis: I think we'll go 13-3 and I reckon it'll be another SB appearance, won't say if we'll win or not yet.

Tell us who you think will be lifting the Lombardi Trophy in Atlanta on February 3rd next year?
Elliot: I’ve been quietly rooting for the Vikings for a while. They work so hard and 100% deserve to lift the Lombardi this year. I haven’t seen them perform badly in the last 3 seasons and always go out via something trivial. Having said that, fuck them: I wanna see that trophy lifted by Wentz!
Josh: I’ll take the eagles out the running just so I don’t look like a biased so I’m gonna say Jags Rams for the Super Bowl in February.

Anything else you'd like to promote?
Elliot: All I can say is I hope it’s as good a season as last. Go Birds!

Lewis: GO Eagles!!!

A huge thank you to Elliot, Josh and Lewis for their participation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: “The Curse of the Super Bowl Hosts”

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: The Alternative NFL Awards 2018

NFL Divisional Finals Preview and Predictions: By Kyle Balfour