Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The Houston Texans


Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The Houston Texans
For my half of the Go For It On Fourth preview for the 2018 NFL season, I decided to ask fans of every team questions about how they think their team will do this season. Instead of asking just one fan per team, I decided to get as many fans as I could involved. For some teams, that was several. For some teams, that was just one fan. But we very much appreciate everyone who got involved in our Preview for the 2018 Season!
Representing the Houston Texans
Ben, Dorset, @btownsend37.
First off, sum up last season for us.
Ben: Last season was one of optimism and heartache. During pre-season it was all about JJ coming back and the fact we had apparently found our answer at QB, it took a little time for him to overtake Savage as the starter but when he did...WOW!!! Sadly he injured his ACL so with him are season died, pair that with the important injuries on the D side of the ball and it was inevitable we would finish how we did.
How was your offseason?
Ben: 2018 offseason IMO was really exciting, a new GM and a new found aggressiveness in FA. Aaron Corvin is a huge signing and obviously the grab of Matheiu. New faces on the offensive line and so far (Wk2 of Preseason) it has been a lot better than last season, something that we will address further during the 2019 draft and FA. For me though the most exciting part of the offseason is everyone is healthy and raring to go, new S&C additions have apparently had a huge part in that.
Key additions from free agency and the Draft?
Ben: As I have said above Colvin and Mathieu are huge FA signings as well as additions on the line. Seeing as we didn’t have a 1st or 2nd Round pick this year the draft went really well for us and picked up players for every need. Personally, I like the Akins pick, it’s not glamorous but he has the skills to be a starting TE for a while if it comes together. Obviously, I love the Reid and Coutee picks before but Akins is the man I look out for on weekends.
What's your hopes for this coming season?
Ben: This season is full of optimism but it will be a tough division to win for sure, historically the weakest but presently I think it’s the toughest division in the league. Talent wise we have a great team and should see the playoffs as a minimum target.
What's your thoughts on your starting quarterback?
Ben: Watson is something special and finally the Texans have the QB they have wanted for a long time. I don’t believe he will match last season’s spell but will be close...the knee however will make me look away every time he runs or gets sacked.
And your thoughts on your head coach?
Ben: Bill O’Brien is a great coach, I just sometimes wish he would trust his players/coaches more. It’s a small flaw but maybe his relationship with the old GM caused this?? We will see this year if he makes adjustments or not.
A player that will be key for you this season?
Ben: Key player this year for me would be Jadeavon Clowney, he was a warrior last year in Watt and Mercilous absence and that intensity needs to remain especially if injuries happen again this year (Hopefully not!!). I would love however to see Watt, Clowney and Mercilous stay fit all year to see what damage they could cause.
And who would you happily drive to their next club?
Ben: Personally I don’t think there are any players I dislike but Kevin Johnson is definitely in a prove me year before imo he is cut or traded.
What made you choose to support your team?
Ben: I support the Texans because they are the youngest franchise in the NFL and I kept getting draw to them while beginning to watch the NFL. Andre Johnson was another reason as I loved his drive and attitude.
For a first-time NFL fan, tell us some reasons why they should support your team?
Ben: If you don’t watch the NFL you should support the Texans because there young and exciting...the defence is fierce and the offence led by Watson is energetic. Plus the fans are awesome both those in the US and here in the UK.
Compare your team to a European football club.
Ben: Comparisons with a Soccer team is a hard one but if I had to choose a smaller club with big aspirations i.e. Wolves. Young talent and hungry to prove it.
What's the best-case scenario for you this season?
Ben: Best case this year is Super Bowl winners, something I believe we are not far from. Is it too soon this year?? Probably but I can dream right!
And what's the worst-case scenario?
Ben: Worst-case is having the same type of season as last year especially with injuries, our depth isn’t great something I hope is addressed when the final 53 are announced.
Is JJ Watt done at an elite level, or can he still come back?
Ben: JJ Watt is not done far from it. He just needs to stay on the field.
Tell us who you think will be lifting the Lombardi Trophy in Atlanta on February 3rd next year?
Ben: I would love to say the Texans, but in my heart, I think it will be Pats Vs Vikes.
Anything else you'd like to promote?
Ben: I would love to Promote Britball and in particular, the Jurassic Coast Raptors who I play for a great club and great bunch of guys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: “The Curse of the Super Bowl Hosts”

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: The Alternative NFL Awards 2018

NFL Divisional Finals Preview and Predictions: By Kyle Balfour