Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The New York Giants


Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The New York Giants

Yep, again this is late. Just getting these done now.
For my half of the Go For It On Fourth preview for the 2018 NFL season, I decided to ask fans of every team questions about how they think their team will do this season. Instead of asking just one fan per team, I decided to get as many fans as I could involved. For some teams, that was several. For some teams, that was just one fan. But we very much appreciate everyone who got involved in our Preview for the 2018 Season!
Representing the New York Football Giants:
John, Redditch, @johnwheelhouse
Ste, Liverpool, @sterobbo84
First off, sum up last season for us.
John: Last season was horrific. 4WR injuries early on, Rookie TE, no run game, terrible O Line...lucky to win 3!
Ste: Last season was a massive let down for Big Blue, as the defence failed to recapture its mean form, key players missed most if not all the season, and the offensive line was a total train wreck!
How was your offseason?
John: Offseason has been interesting, new HC - looking forward to seeing what Coach Shurmur can do and new GM - Gettleman seems to be doing good things!
Ste: Offseason has been decent, really happy we brought in Pat Shurmur and Dave Gettleman. They've both been blunt with letting everyone know what needs to be done and I like that. OBJ has finally sorted out his contract and that's great news in that it's a big issue that's no longer hanging over the Giants, and Odell can focus soley on putting them numbers up and justifying the colossal outlay.
Key additions from free agency and the Draft?
John: Talking about offseason naturally leads in to the Draft and a few other key signings. Obviously everyone is looking forward to seeing Saquon (but I’ll talk about that in a bit), Solder is going to be big for us and will give Eli a bit of much needed protection but I really like the look of Guard Will Hernandez, big powerful guy so it all adds to that shocking O Line from last year.
Ste: The pre-draft obviously caused a big divide between Giants fans. I'd say it was almost a 50/50 split between those who wanted the best player available (Saquon Barkley), and those who believed we could land the next franchise quarterback. While none of the QBs really wowed me, plus the fact I think Eli can go another 3-4 years with an improved o-line, Barkley's explosiveness and guile were infectious. He comes across as a great kid too and that ticks a big box for me. Also from the draft I'm loving what I've seen so far from Will Hernandez. In free agency we picked up Cody Latimer from the Broncos and he's looked handy, while I was mightily relieved to land Nate Solder. Lord knows Eli needed a left tackle and Erick Flowers just was not that guy!
What's your hopes for this coming season?
John: After last season I don’t have high hopes and I think that’ll be the case for a lot of Giants fans, which has to be a good thing for the team as expectations aren’t as high as they probably should be.
Ste: To bring home number five! I suppose everyone wants a +.500 season, and coming off the back of a 3-13 I should be happy to settle for that. But I honestly think that if everyone can keep healthy and play their part we could at least make the play-offs. After that, who knows?
What's your thoughts on your starting quarterback?
John: QB is an interesting one, a lot of people blamed Eli for last season but it absolutely was not his fault. He was made a scapegoat by McAdoo and I’m backing him to have a great season with the new look O Line, and all the options he has now.
Ste: Eli's been there and done it. Twice. He knows how to win. However, he needs a good team surrounding him in order to flourish. Last year's o-line stunk the place out and Eli suffered along with the rest of us! Having Nate Solder at LT as part of a much improved offensive line could see him have a dramatically better year.
And your thoughts on your head coach?
John: Coach Shurmur seems like a good fit, from everything I’ve read he and new GM Gettleman share a very similar philosophy on how to build a team and I’m looking forward to seeing it in action this season!
Ste: Well just about anybody would have been an upgrade on Ben McAdoo! So far, Pat Shurmur seems to be saying and doing the right things. He was named NFL Assistant Coach of the Year for 2017, we'll see if he can pick up a Head Coach one this year.
A player that will be key for you this season?
John: Saquon Barkley, if he stays healthy. You asked about 2nd overall pick - I’ll answer that in a minute!
Ste: That man Odell Beckham Jr. For us to have any chance of being involved in the post season, plenty of others are gonna have to step up too. But OBJ has got that magic, that little something extra. If we are to have a great year, you can bet 'The kid with the yellow hair' will have a major part in it.
And who would you happily drive to their next club?
John: I’d happily drive Eli Apple to their next team, reports from camp are that everything’s settled down now but I’m a fan of his ability, just not him as a person.
Ste: It would've been Brandon Marshall but thankfully he's no longer our problem! Moving to right tackle after a disatrous time at left tackle, Ereck Flowers needs a big season or I'd definately be willing to give him a ride out of town.
What made you choose to support your team?
Ste: I always remembered The Giants being mentioned on Friends years ago. Plus I've always thought there were similarities with my home town of Liverpool. I visited New York last year and although I didn't get to take in a game, I went to the health & fitness expo at the Metlife Arena which invloved access all around the stadium, including the pitch and which ended with me chatting to Landon Collins. Plus they play in blue & white like my beloved Everton!
For a first-time NFL fan, tell us some reasons why they should support your team?
Ste: 1. It's New York! 2. We've got a rich history 3. We're in one of the most competitive divisions 4. We've got a prime time baller in OBJ
Compare your team to a European football club.
John: Napoli, big names, a lot of promise, just never really deliver!
Ste: Roma: a wonderful city with a team that has a few special talents. Both far superior to their neighbours (laughs). Roma haven't won anything for 10 years and The Giants 6, but there's always that hope and belief.
What's the best-case scenario for you this season?
John: I genuinely think we’ll have a winning season, but only just.
Ste: Win the Super Bowl. Key players stay healthy. No locker room shenanigans. Pretty much the opposite of last year!
And what's the worst-case scenario?
John: Worst case is we get no better than last year, I just can’t see that happening though.
Ste: Another o-line that stinks. Barkley being a bust. Eli Apple causing trouble again and OBJ picking up daft suspensions.
Running back with the second overall pick. Do you think Saquon Barkley will live up to the hype?
John: So, the big question. 2nd pick. Running Back. Saquon Barkley. Easy! Yes he’ll live up to the hype, but...it would be easy for Eli to hand the ball off every play to give him some yards and big game moments yet I don’t think that’ll happen as much as it probably should. He’ll be there to keep defences guessing as much as he is to take the ball in. Shepard, OBJ, Engram and Barkley is pretty formidable and I think they’ll all be used in equal measure.
Ste: Well I'm biased but yeah, I think he's going to be brilliant. I think he's going to be helped by others taking some snaps like Gallman and Stewart. There's plenty of scrutiny on him with being the #2 pick but so far he's handled it well and I don't see why he can't continue to do so. He picked up a little niggle in his hamstring and people are already writing him off as injury prone!
Predict your record for this season, and how far (if at all) you will go in the postseason.
John: My prediction for this season is 9-7 which unfortunately won’t be enough for a wild card.
Ste: I always go with my heart over my head so I'll say we'll go 11-5 in the regular season. Then surprise everyone and at least make the divisional playoffs.
Tell us who you think will be lifting the Lombardi Trophy in Atlanta on February 3rd next year?
John: At the minute I can’t see past Patriots for the Super Bowl but Rams and Jags will be there or thereabouts.
Ste: If not The Giants, I really fancy The Falcons to win it in their home stadium.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: “The Curse of the Super Bowl Hosts”

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: The Alternative NFL Awards 2018

NFL Divisional Finals Preview and Predictions: By Kyle Balfour