Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The Miami Dolphins


Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The Miami Dolphins
For my half of the Go For It On Fourth preview for the 2018 NFL season, I decided to ask fans of every team questions about how they think their team will do this season. Instead of asking just one fan per team, I decided to get as many fans as I could involved. For some teams, that was several. For some teams, that was just one fan. But we very much appreciate everyone who got involved in our Preview for the 2018 Season!
Representing the Miami Dolphins:
Mikey, Lincoln, UK, @MikeyGray66
First off, sum up last season for us.
Mikey: Pfffft, it’s never great when you start answer with pffft. What can I say, despite being a couple of years post Philbin we found ourselves getting progressively worse. The decision to trade Jay Ajayi away to the Eagles was about as popular as a hog roast at a vegan convention and was just part of what was a worryingly poor season. Gase’s controversial choice of signing Jay Cutler to fill in for Ryan Tannehill went as smoothly as well as everyone thought it would. Evidently, we could’ve packed up and sat out the season and been more satisfied with the outcome. Again, rumblings with senior players like Jarvis Landry, Ndamakong Suh and Mike Pouncey up stages what football was on offer. A win at Atlanta and the annual upset over New England were the only positives in a poor season.
How was your offseason?
Mikey: A mixed bag, the draft was my only positive, we’ve not looked great so far in our pre-season games which is a concern, but isn’t surprising. Off the field it’s been the usual rumblings, more big names going and the fans arguing over Ryan Tannehill.
Key additions from free agency and the Draft?
Mikey: I’ve been moderately satisfied with who we’ve added but are we replacing the departing “stars” with anyone of a similar calibre? The answer is no! Danny Amendola and Josh Sitton are both welcome additions and I was happy with who we drafted in particularly Minkah Fitzpatrick and Mike Gesicki, however I don’t want to put too much pressure on these guys. I wasn’t happy though and I’m still trying to work out why we’ve brought in Brock Osweiler? I think David Fales is a perfectly better and more sensible option at QB2.
What's your hopes for this coming season?
Mikey: Being a Miami fan it’s easier not to hope and just to go with the flow, I had so many hopes at the beginning of the 2016 season that we were finally on track and building something special and within a year that had been smashed. I think we’ve got to be realistic, which is the type of Miami I am. If we win more than 5 games this season it will be a positive. I just think we’ve taken two giant steps back over the last 18 months and those teams who were worse have all improved. I hate to be pessimistic, but I’d be lying to myself if I thought this team could reach the play-offs.
What's your thoughts on your starting quarterback?
Mikey: I like Tannehill, if you watch the other type of football my club Manchester City used to have a striker called Edin Dzeko, this guy would miss everything from 2/3 years out. He’d trip over his own legs, he’d fluff the most simple of tap in’s and just after you’ve emptied your lungs yelling at him from Row W he’d bend a 20 yard shot sweetly into the top corner from an acute angle, and 2 minutes later he’s beating two defenders from a corner and powering home a header. What I’m saying is - Ryan Tannehill is the Edin Dzeko of the NFL, the guy can frustrate the hell out of you and at times but in other games he’s the best player on the field.
And your thoughts on your head coach?
Mikey: I’m not a fan, it seems he’s weeded out all the bad eggs but these bad eggs are the best players on the team. Ever since Ajayi was traded it’s been like a domino effect. I can’t comment on whether or not these guys are issues in the locker room but even if they were? Are we better off without them? No! Certainly not from a football perspective. We’ve regressed under Gase to worse than we were under Joe Philbin - and I should wash my mouth for even saying that.
A player that will be key for you this season?
Mikey: The entire Line both sides of the football. It’s going to be a tough old year but I believe if we are going to exceed what little expectations I’ve got then it’s going to be won in the trenches.
And who would you happily drive to their next club?
Mikey: Coach Gase....maybe a bit harsh yet. Brock Osweiler...again why oh why ? Where was the common sense when that contract was handed out ?
What made you choose to support your team?
Mikey: Dan Marino and the Ace Ventura movie - no lie. Being born in the 80’s and growing up in the 90’s with a passive interest in the NFL you pretty much only knew two teams the Dolphins or the 49ers. So, for a reason that you could categorise 98% of the worlds Manchester United fans I was a 90’s NFL glory supporter, which is kinda odd because Miami despite all their power and reputation during that era never actually won the Super Bowl Under Marino.
For a first-time NFL fan, tell us some reasons why they should support your team?
Mikey: You shouldn’t! Unless you like to be severely disappointed on a weekly basis between September and February.
Compare your team to a European football club.
Mikey: Probably Leeds United? Maybe? The name Miami Dolphins still packs a punch in the NFL world and are historically one of the greatest teams and one of the most famous, but success and fortune is long overdue. You could say that Leeds who were dominant in the 70’s much like Miami haven’t had anything to smile about for a long time.
What's the best-case scenario for you this season?
Mikey: The Bills and The Jets being just that bit more terrible than we are and somehow amongst all of the mess we scrape 2nd in the Division. Put it this way if this time make the play-offs I’d be speechless.
And what's the worst-case scenario?
Mikey: 0-16, I mean surely it can’t happen could it?
Going into his seventh season, can Ryan Tannehill be the long-term future for the Dolphins at Quarterback?
Mikey: He has to be, we’ve consistently avoided drafting a QB so that means that the organisation is invested in Tannehill. Is he a franchise QB? I’m not so sure but I like him. He’s an honest guy and he’ll always have my support until the end.
Predict your record for this season, and how far (if at all) you will go in the postseason.
Mikey: 4-12
Tell us who you think will be lifting the Lombardi Trophy in Atlanta on February 3rd next year?
Mikey: It’s very hard to tell. You can’t really look past the Eagles again at the moment. They’ll have the momentum and I’m sure Carson Wentz will have them firing on all cylinders. Possibly Atlanta? People are tipping the Jags and the Chargers for a good season but I just can’t see it. Anyone but the Patriots of course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: “The Curse of the Super Bowl Hosts”

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: The Alternative NFL Awards 2018

NFL Divisional Finals Preview and Predictions: By Kyle Balfour