Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The Jacksonville Jaguars


Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The Jacksonville Jaguars
For my half of the Go For It On Fourth preview for the 2018 NFL season, I decided to ask fans of every team questions about how they think their team will do this season. Instead of asking just one fan per team, I decided to get as many fans as I could involved. For some teams, that was several. For some teams, that was just one fan. But we very much appreciate everyone who got involved in our Preview for the 2018 Season!
Representing the Jacksonville Jaguars:
Matt, Manchester.
Heike, Ennepetal, Germany.
Nici, Rugby.
Michael, Jacksonville, FL, @KingM91.
First off, sum up last season for us.
Matt: Last season was absolutely great, if not a little disappointing in the end. Myles Jack was not down!!, but overall a fantastic improvement from whipping boys too genuine contenders, it gave me a lot of optimism going into the future.
Heike: Awesome 🙂.
Nici: Last season, wow, surprise, always hoped for, a couple blips along the way.
How was your offseason?
Heike: Very busy, organized some stuff for the German Jags fanclub.
Michael: Our offseason was a bit unusual since we spent most of it savoring a long run in the playoffs. However, the Jaguars have continued to add young/ ascending talent during this offseason.
Key additions from free agency and the Draft?
Matt: In terms of key additions this year there hasn't really been anything that’s blown me away however Taven Byran has been described by Calais Campbell as the best rookie he has seen during his career which sounds promising, he should hopefully help out D line keep on earning the nickname Sacksonville. We have added some depth at WR no real Number one but a few guys who can hopefully have a productive season for us. And Ronnie Harrison at safety has really impressed me during the preseason I have high hopes for him.
Heike: Norwell will be good in the O line, DJ shark will be good too.
Nici: We have picked up a couple of promising prospects, but not sure we let the right ones go!
Michael: Going off of the previous question, our key additions are TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins (from the Jets), Donte Moncrief (from the Colts), and WR D.J. Chark (2nd round, LSU). All of them are 25 or younger and add even more dynamic speed to our offense.
What's your hopes for this coming season?
Matt: My hopes for next season are to prove what we achieved last year was no one off. I would love another deep playoff run and who knows maybe a first Superbowl appearance.
Heike: Get 10 Ws.
Nici: Hoping we can get to the Super Bowl this year, we were totally underestimated, and I don’t think teams will do that again this season. Need to learn from the urrghh games.
Michael: My hopes are that we make it to the Super Bowl and win.
What’s your thoughts on your starting quarterback?
Matt: My thoughts on our starting quarterback, well I think everybody knows that there is quite a bit of room for improvement with Blake. I did see a lot of positive improvements last year, there were some times where it looked as though the old Blake was back, I’m thinking for example the game against the chargers where he tried his best to throw the game away at the end, somehow we still won that one in the end! But some good performances too, for example in the championship game against the Patriots I couldn’t have asked anymore from him, so overall I fully understand why the Jags have rewarded him with a new contract.
Heike: He needs to show that he makes a step forward, stop doing Blake Bortles things...
Nici: Bortles takes such trash talking, but it seems to have inspired him last season, if he can stay strong and with the team we have, shouldn’t have a problem this season!
Michael: Blake Bortles is an average to above-average QB. He's not going to blow your socks off, but you can win games with him as long as he cuts down on the boneheaded turnovers.
And your thoughts on your head coach?
Matt: Doug Marrone is great. He has overseen this turnaround and i was a bit dissiponted he was in the conversation more for coach of the year. I felt he did an amazing job.
Heike: Marrone will manage the team, I guess they all take the next step.
Nici: Can’t argue with Doug Marrone, what he got out of the team last season, if he can replicate that again we can get to the bowl!
Michael: Doug Marrone has been awesome. I believe that he and (Executive VP) Tom Coughlin work very well with one another and that their disciplinarian approach fits well with this team.
A player that will be key for you this season?
Matt: A key player this year will of course be Leonard Fournette. Everybody knows we are a run first offense so we need him to really ball out if we are going to be a real contender this year. He is coming off the back of a very impressive rookie season and needs to continue in the same vein. I believe one of the most important factors in this will be his ability to stay fit, he was plagued with ankle problems all of last season, I just hope there is no such problems this year. He is coming in a few pounds lighter this year so I can’t wait to see how he gets on this year.
Heike: Moncrief, he must replace Lee and show what he got.
Nici: Fournette is still one to watch, a fit and healthy Fournette will win us the games.
Michael: Blake Bortles is the key. If he plays well, we're nigh-unstoppable.
And who would you happily drive to their next club?
Matt: Probably Dante Fowler he is a decent enough player but just brings too much baggage with him and seems to be a disruptive influence we dont really need at the minute.
Heike: I’m not sad that Marqise Lee gets hurt. 😕
Nici: Not sure on the back-ups we have though, would like a change there!
Michael: CB Jalen Ramsey, because I'm sure he knows how to have fun.
What made you choose to support your team?
Matt: I started supporting the Jags by chance really, I was on holiday in Florida when I was 10 years old and wanted a NFL Jersey, I chose the Jags one just because I liked it, knowing nothing about the team or the sport really. When I came to get into the sport they were the natural choice seeing as I already had the Jersey.
Heike: Blake Bortles draft in 2014, was a NE fan before, but he is awesome. I follow his steps and now I’m a die-hard Jags fan..and the international series games from the Jags in London.
Nici: Supported from the beginning, always followed the underdog side and they just intrigued me, they give their best.
Michael: I was born and raised in Jacksonville, so I naturally gravitated towards my hometown team, much to the chagrin of my father who is a Miami Dolphins fan.
For a first-time NFL fan, tell us some reasons why they should support your team?
Matt: Probably the most obvious reason for a UK based first-time NFL fan to support the Jags is you get to see them play in London every year, other than that I would say they are a young hungry team with a bright future ahead of them and a very good owner in Shad Khan who will continue to steer the franchise in the right direction.
Heike: Cause we’re underrated and have the best fans.
Nici: Great entertainment, value for money.
Michael: I think you should support the Jaguars because we are often considered underdogs. While Jacksonville itself is a huge city, we are among the smallest media markets in the NFL. On the international stage, we're often overshadowed by Miami, Tampa, and Orlando. Nobody even thought that we should have a team (Many people still don't), but despite all odds, we have a football team. And we're on the rise right now.
Compare your team to a European football club.
Matt: I’m struggling to compare the Jags with a European club team so let’s go Fulham, after all they have the same owner. Neither side has the biggest fan base in the world, periods of relative success in the past and the future is looking fairly good for both teams, so let’s go with that.
Heike: 😀 I can’t.
Michael: Sadly, I don't know that much about European Football, so I can't give you a good answer.
What’s the best-case scenario for you this season?
Matt: Best case scenario is the defence continues to ball out. Fournette is on fire, Bortles makes more improvements and the team makes the super bowl.
Heike: Reaching the playoffs.
Nici: Best-case is Super Bowl final.
Michael: The best-case scenario is that everyone stays healthy and we make it to the playoffs virtually unscathed
And what’s the worst-case scenario?
Matt: Worst case is it was a one season wonder, we get found out and come away with a losing record.
Heike: Get less than 10 Ws.
Nici: Worst case is not winning division.
Michael: The worst-case scenario is that the Jaguars sustain injuries along the offensive line and the defense. Once Bortles starts getting hit, he's gonna start taking too many chances (We call it YOLO ball) and that's when he starts throwing INTs.
Is Blake Bortles the long-term answer at quarterback?
Matt: Is Blake Bortles the long term answer. Most people would answer this with a straight no. I say maybe, he will have to show further improvements this year. I believe he is nowhere near as bad as many people would have you believe and in a run first offence he could end up being what the team needs. He has shown he can win in the playoffs so while it seems somewhat unlikely I do believe he has a chance to become the long-term solution. Only time will tell.
Heike: When he plays an awesome fracking season this year, yeah. If he doesn’t, Cody Kessler showed what he is able to do in the pre-season games.
Michael: Yes. I think that Bortles will be here for a long time.
Predict your record for this season, and how far (if at all) you will go in the postseason.
Heike: 10-6, Wild Card round and then we’ll see.
Nici: Think we will go 11-5 this season.
Michael The Jaguars will go 11-5.
Tell us who you think will be lifting the Lombardi Trophy in Atlanta on February 3rd next year?
Matt: I think there are a few teams with a decent chance this year the Rams would be a good shout also the chargers, Eagles to retain it maybe, you could never rule the Patriots out. I do believe the Jags have a chance but if pushed I think I would go with the Rams.
Heike: Drew Brees and the Saints.
Nici: While I can dream of jags lifting the trophy, I think possibly Rams.
Michael: Calais Campbell will be lifting the Lombardi Trophy in Atlanta and the city of Jacksonville will lose its' collective mind.
Anything else you’d like to promote?
Heike: Thanks for being part of your work.
Nici: Just starting to follow UK Uni football, will be following Northampton stallions this year as well.
Michael: The only thing I'd to promote is to be excellent to one another.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: “The Curse of the Super Bowl Hosts”

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: The Alternative NFL Awards 2018

NFL Divisional Finals Preview and Predictions: By Kyle Balfour