Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: Kansas City Chiefs


 Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: Kansas City Chiefs

This is late, and I fully admit that. Just getting these all done now.
For my half of the Go For It On Fourth preview for the 2018 NFL season, I decided to ask fans of every team questions about how they think their team will do this season. Instead of asking just one fan per team, I decided to get as many fans as I could involved. For some teams, that was several. For some teams, that was just one fan. But we very much appreciate everyone who got involved in our Preview for the 2018 Season!
Representing the Chiefs:
John, Kansas City, Missouri
Alan, Carluke, Scotland
First off, sum up last season for us.
John: We won the division, again. One and done in the playoffs, again. Many Chiefs fans thought we might have gone further. I didn't. Defense wins championships and ours was not up to par.
Alan: Last season was fun to watch, with crazy good skill position players like Hill, Kelce and Hunt all topped off with an Alex Smith who through caution to the wind and aired it out more than anyone in the league. Defence always a concern as they just seemed to hang on to teams without making a huge impact. Ultimately ended the way too many of our playoff seasons do...with us disappearing quietly to what I felt was a much poorer team, the Titans.
How was your offseason?
John: I’m good with the Alex Smith trade. If we didn’t trade him, he would be gone next season anyway. This way we got something for him. The Peters trade hurt. One of the best in the league and young. But he wanted out and was causing trouble in the locker room. Add in a few retirements and we had some holes to fill.
Key additions from free agency and the Draft?
John: Picking up Fuller in the Smith trade definitely helped. The draft was ok. We filled some holes but no real studs. That’s the Chiefs way. Projects.
Alan: Defensive Draft with Breeland Speaks being our main selection. Other than this was an ok Draft. Rest of the post season spent trying to bring in a strong corner to support Fuller. Sammy Watkins, if fit, will add another big target for Mahomes.
What's your hopes for this coming season?
John: Definitely a rebuilding season. New QB. Second year RB. Lots of new D. It all depends on how hard Reid pushes. FYI, he doesn’t push too hard. I hole we meld together quickly and can go 10-6. I think that can win the AFC West. If we struggle at all (and I think that’s likely), 8-8 or worse.
Alan: I think every fan hopes for a championship season no matter who you support. But realistically I hope to see the defence gel and impose themselves especially at Arrowhead and offence to light it up with varied exciting and dynamic plays. Record 9-7.
What's your thoughts on your starting quarterback?
John: Diametrically opposed to Alex Smith. Long ball compared to drop off passes. Much faster, younger and a risk taker. He will probably throw more INTs this year than Smith has in the last three combined. But it will be exciting! It “should” open up the running game also with the second level (LB’s) having to drop back in pass coverage.
Alan: Mahomes has ‘the’ arm to do whatever he wants on the field. He seems to have the full offence on his side and working with him which for a sophomore QB is impressive. He will make mistakes, but I think he was taught from the best in ball retention (Alex Smith) so maybe won’t be as many picks as some people think. A superstar potential.
And your thoughts on your head coach?
John: Coach Reid is a QB’s dream. He develops QBs better than any other. My biggest problem with him is his game calling (I wish he’d hand over calling the plays to the OC). That and he doesn’t have the killer instinct. Too often when he gets a lead, he takes his foot off the accelerator. Teams come back and bite us in the arse.
Alan: Big Red is an all-time great. I hope he has learned that even when winning games easily we need to stay aggressive. Too many times we become defensive and lose games right at the end.  Could improve on his tone management.
A player that will be key for you this season?
John: Our D as a whole. We have a hard time tackling and getting pressure on the QB. Aside from that, I think RB Akiem Hunt has to start like he did last year and keep on going. (Reid’s play calling)
Alan: Hitchins ILB, has big shoes to fill in Derrick Johnson but if he can lift the players around him I have no doubt he has the skills to lead by example. Fabulous open field tackler and reads and commits early to the run. If he plays like he can then our defence will be ok.
And who would you happily drive to their next club?
John: Fisher. #1 overall pick four years ago. Left tackle. Sucks ass!!!
Alan: Dee Ford, either continual underachiever or injured take your pick. Quickest first step since #58 DT but doesn’t have that aggressive nasty streak that great outside rushers have. I have hoped every year he will show up but this year I want to see Kpassignon take the field and Ford take a flight elsewhere.
What made you choose to support your team?
John: I chose the Chiefs because my father was a St. Louis Cardinals fan. Just to spite him I guess.
Alan: In 1983 a few friends and I started watching a new sport to the UK called American Football. We put all (28 at the time) teams into a hat and took a team each. To this day we all still support the teams we chose. So happy I got the Chiefs.
For a first-time NFL fan, tell us some reasons why they should support your team?
John: We’re not the greatest so you will never be accused of being a bandwagon fan. And we don’t suck so you can enjoy some wins. I think there’s only one other Chiefs fan in this group (NFL Adults Only group on Facebook), so I’m unique!
Alan: The Chiefs have a great history in being involved in the creation of the NFL and the Super Bowl. Their fans both UK and US are second to none. Also, the stadium is incredible. I have never experienced noise (loudest in the world) quite like Arrowhead. Amazing (oh, and worth going just for the BBQ)
Compare your team to a European football club.
John: Tough for me mate. I’m one of the few Yanks in the group (as above) and I don’t follow European football.
Alan: I think we are a bit like PSG - full of talent but don’t seem to be able to win the big one.
What's the best-case scenario for you this season?
John: 10-6 or better.
Alan: We get to the playoffs, after that, who knows?
And what's the worst-case scenario?
John: 6-10 more likely.
Alan: It’s a crazy hard start to our schedule, if we don’t win a few early, it could be tough to turn it around.
It's Patrick Mahomes' time in Kansas City now. How do the Chiefs build around him to create a winning culture in Kansas City?

John: If we can get a front 3 on defense to make some noise, we’ll be good. I like our receiving corps and RBs. O-Line is ok. Can always improve, but acceptable. It’s all about the D if we’re going to succeed.
Alan: They have given him (Mahomes) everything he needs offensively to go out and play as he can, he won’t be expected to be mistake free, but he will be expected to develop and learn from poor decisions. Reid obviously loves this guy and right now so do the fans. It’s time to let him play some ball!
Predict your record for this season, and how far (if at all) you will go in the postseason.
John: I’ll go on the record and say 8-8. I’ve looked at our schedule over and over. If we stay healthy and work together, maybe we can go 10-6. But playoffs, if we go, one and done, again.
Alan: Prediction will be 9-7 and win one playoff game. Lose the next playoff.
Tell us who you think will be lifting the Lombardi Trophy in Atlanta on February 3rd next year?
John: I think someone new will represent the AFC. New England and Pittsburgh may go to the playoffs but not the Super Bowl. So I’m predicting a Los Angeles Super Bowl…the LA Rams v. the LA Chargers. You heard it here first!
Alan: I think the Giants could be a surprise team this year but I’m going to say the Steelers for the big one (which turns my stomach).
Anything else you'd like to promote?
John: Final notes.  Every year I think the AFC west is going to be a dog fight. Last two years the Raiders and the Broncos had some rough spots. This year I think the AFC west will be the bigger joke. I think Oakland, Denver, and Kansas City are going to struggle.
Thank for the opportunity to tell my side of the story.
CHIEFS KINGDOM!!!!!!
Alan: The NFL for me is everything that football could be for fans. Every game is an event not just one team versus another. Our American counterparts know how to make the most of Super Sunday. Have a great season everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: “The Curse of the Super Bowl Hosts”

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: The Alternative NFL Awards 2018

NFL Divisional Finals Preview and Predictions: By Kyle Balfour