Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The Baltimore Ravens


Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The Baltimore Ravens
For my half of the Go For It On Fourth preview for the 2018 NFL season, I decided to ask fans of every team questions about how they think their team will do this season. Instead of asking just one fan per team, I decided to get as many fans as I could involved. For some teams, that was several. For some teams, that was just one fan. But we very much appreciate everyone who got involved in our Preview for the 2018 Season!
Representing the Baltimore Ravens:
Mike, Edinburgh @MikeyThorburn84
Stephen, Scotland, @saklogan and @touchdownhouse
Scott, Gloucester, @Schgot89
Marc, Aberdeen, @MarcRaff5
First off, sum up last season for us.
Mike: Ooft, taking it to the last week of the season only to lose out was really tough, then there was the abomination at Wembley against the Jags. First time watching my team in the flesh and that's what I got...was rough. I would say mixed bag is accurate!
Stephen: Last season was disappointing for us yet another season not making the playoffs, offence under-performed, the way we lost to Bengals last play of last game to lose out on playoffs really summed up season, but we move on and this year we good on all fronts, I’m excited.
Scott: Last season was a glimmer of what the Ravens could be. Painfully poor 2015/2016 seasons left us hungry for the playoffs and injuries just piled up. It felt like we would bounce back towards the end until the infamous 4th and 12 that Andy Dalton delivered…
Marc: Where do I start!  I’ve never seen the good, the bad and the ugly but I’m guessing it could’ve been based on the 2017 Baltimore Ravens.  We finished the season 9-7 to finish 2nd in the division.  It doesn’t begin to tell the story of what was really and up and down season for us.
The good, 3 shut out games against the Bengals, Dolphins and the Green Bay Packers.  At points the D looked like it did in years past and something to get excited by.
The bad, that trip to London.  For all the fluff the teams come out with about coming to the UK I’m not entirely convinced they are as happy about it as the tend to make out.  I can’t put my finger on why but the Ravens coming to London just didn’t feel right.  Whilst it was great not to have to travel thousands of miles to see them, I’d rather not if there is going to be a performance as bad as that was.  The only positive to come from the trip was the players kneeling in solidarity for what was and still is happening in the states.  I can honestly say I’d rather get punched in the face that have to watch that again.

The ugly, not Terrell Suggs he is a beautiful man.  It’s that play against the bengals where Andy Dalton throws a 49 yard pass to Tyler Boyd to win the game for the Bengals and kick the Ravens out of the playoffs. 
What a lovely way to bring in the new year watching the Ravens lose to the Bengals
How was your offseason?
Mike: I think we have done some good business in the off season. Receiver has been an issue for us for a few years, and they have definitely tried to address that. Fingers crossed it comes together.
Scott: The off-season has been great for us. Great Free Agency pickups have stocked us as WR, a position we were woeful in last year. Ever since we lost Steve Smith Sr, we’ve been left with an impotent Perriman always ready to ‘break out’ and Mike Wallace. The WRs last year were horrible, so having Brown and Crabtree in now is exciting.
Marc: Interesting, we actually got some Wide Receivers that look like they can catch the ball. 
Looking back through previous seasons we’ve managed to avoid the amount of season ending injuries that normally plague us.   5-0 in pre-season doesn’t tell you much but I’d rather that than 0-5.
Key additions from free agency and the Draft?
Mike: Hayden Hurst, the big TE we picked up in round 1, i think he is going to be a great addition to the team, Flacco used to love throwing to Dennis Pitta (our old TE) so hopefully this will be another fruitful relationship
Stephen: Offseason been good some good additions in Brown and Crabtree on free agency at WR much needed, also the draft some great players in Hurst and Brown JR, but most excited about Lamar Jackson our future QB this kid is great and loved watching him at college.
Scott: The newly drafted TEs fill me with a little faith a Flacco does like to mix it up and favour strong TEs; proof therein if people remember Dennis Pitta of course. A favourite target in days gone by. Obviously Lamar Jackson, I’m not going to pin all hopes on a future talent yet. Key word... future.
Marc: The 3 wide receivers look a great pick up in the short term, long term that will need to be sorted in the draft hopefully.
What's your hopes for this coming season?
Mike: Ravens have been one of the most injury prone teams in the league the last couple of years, i just want a solid run with the right guys in the right positions, not having to rely too much on replacements. Then we can really know how good we are.
Stephen: Hopes for this season is to make the playoffs, would love to win SB and could happen but we would need to be at best all season on offence and defence, I have had my standard £10 ew superbowl bet (laughs).
Scott: Obvious hope for any fan is that we get to the Super Bowl and win it; though a more realistic goal would be for us to make a deep playoff push. There are a LOT of contender teams that weren’t there a few years ago. The Jags, the Texans and I’ll say it - Cleveland... lots of talent and it’s impossible to call this early!
Marc: The division looks wide open, not convinced by the Bengals and the browns will probably be the browns.  Pittsburgh is an interesting one. There’s no doubting that the 3 B’s are superb but you’ve got to wonder with what’s happening with Bell and the quarterback being 36 and threatening to retire every year whether his heart is still in it.
What's your thoughts on your starting quarterback?
Mike: I have a love/hate relationship with Joe Flacco. End of the day, dude won us a Superbowl and his playoff record is, i think, one of the best ever. But he has coasted on the rep for too long and needs to show he still has it.
Stephen: Starting QB its still Flacco’s team and i know he was hurt last year but fit this year and I’m hoping he will be back to his best and hope to see some plays with Lamar Jackson too.
Scott: Lots of hate for Flacco in recent years. The elite argument. I still have faith in my starting QB. Yeah, he hasn’t been great in recent years and I blame our losses on the team, not one individual. Sometimes, Flacco. Sometimes, the defence. Sometimes other players. He’s fired up, job up for grabs, weapons around him; I reckon Flacco could have one of his best years.
Marc: I love Joe.  The amount of hate and how under appreciated he is, is a joke.  Coming off 2 serious injuries and the lack of protection and weapons isn’t going to bring the best out in anyone.  We will see a different Joe this season. 
And your thoughts on your head coach?
Mike: I know it's dumb, but Harbaugh's comments about the UK and everything in the wake of the London game left a sour taste in my mouth. He spent no time talking about dedicated Ravens fans, many seeing their team for the first time and was generally very dismissive of us and the experience. It was disappointing. However, i do think he is a good coach, and one of the better ones in the league.
Stephen: I’m a fan of Harbs so i hope we do well as he’s a great coach, i would love to see us get Ray Lewis as a Defence coach mind he is a legend and could teach the young players a lot.
Scott: Harbaugh - not much to say. My opinion changed of him when he blamed London for the woeful loss to a (better than ever) Jags team. No thanks to the UK fans, whatsoever. A desperate man, clutching at his recent failings. Whilst I said it was a team failure before, he is the man accountable. We want a tight ship, not a s*** tip ultimately.
Marc: It’s hard not to like John Harbaugh.  One of the best coaches in the league.  In interviews it’s easy to see why players respond to him, you can also see with one glare that he’s not a guy to be fucked with.
A player that will be key for you this season?
Mike: Flacco: he has to turn up, otherwise he might not have a job next year. We need to see that the knee injury is behind him and that he can sling it to those new receivers.
Stephen: On Offence I think Collins RB will be massive for us, Also Hurst at TE I think will do well, on the Defence, it’s Mosley.
Scott: I think that a key player this year will be Alex Collins (RB) in all honesty. If he can keep the run game alive, with the new weapons to throw to, I can see defenders struggling against the Ravens. Too many options to cover. On defence, I think Marlon Humphrey will be a key piece of the puzzle until Jimmy Smith gets back from suspension. Someone has to contain Antonio Brown AND AJ Green!!
Marc: There’s a few guys I was going to go with.  Tim Williams has been superb in the preseason and I’m expecting a lot from him even on what will be limited snaps from him.  Marshall Yanda coming back will be a massive help on the O line but the guy I’m going for is Joe Flacco.  Depending on how well Lamar Jackson progresses this could be Joes last season in Baltimore.  He has all the tools so there can’t be any excuses.

And who would you happily drive to their next club?
Mike: That's a tough one, there genuinely isn't really anyone that I don’t like on the team...that i can think of...ask me again after week 4!
Stephen: I’m not that evil bit if i had to pick one prob Perriman, he’s struggled since being a 1st round pick I’m still peeved we passed on Diggs (laughs).
Scott: Currently not pointing fingers at anyone to move on but we do have obvious weaknesses that can be developed.
Marc: I really struggled with this one.  If I had to pick someone it would be Kenneth Dixon.  With suspensions and injuries we’ve yet to see the best of him and that’s really frustrating, injuries you can deal with it’s the rest of the nonsense that’s infuriating.
What made you choose to support your team?
Mike: I have friends who live in Baltimore, i went to visit them when i was 16, they bought me a shirt, took me to the stadium (was the off season) and just introduced me to the sport and ive been a fan ever since
What made you choose to support your team? – It’s a long story but the short version was I got into NFL after a lot of operations I had for my crohns and I fell in love with the Ravens and the passion and heart and drive of Ray Lewis, he was my reason for the Ravens and he is my ultimate fav player and when i got to meet him last year in London with my daughter it was the most amazing thing to happen to me since the birth of my daughter (laughs).
Marc: The short version is the Defense and the run game was superb.
For a first-time NFL fan, tell us some reasons why they should support your team?
Mike: Erm, we are awesome! If you like to watch football built on a solid defence, I don’t think you will find much better.
Stephen: Ravens are a team worth following because of their heart and passion and drive and when they play they are amazing to watch, they have amazing history but really all you need to do to want to follow the Ravens is go on you tube and look at Ray Lewis Highlights and speeches and you will be hooked.
Scott: For new fans, and why I follow - if you want hard hitting, passionate football - Baltimore is the place to be. Four shutouts last year, dangerous defending, a wealth of interceptions - we can make powerhouse offences look like high school players.... on a good day!
Marc: We are a team on the up.  A team that’s getting younger with a great chance of success.
Compare your team to a European football club.
Mike: Someone with a staunch defence, probs Italian, (laughs). They always seem to be built on great defence and that has always been the Raven way.
Stephen: Liverpool.
Scott: Cannot compare to a European team as I don’t watch!
Marc: Have went with Aberdeen as it’s easy to compare the 2.  Both don’t get the credit they deserve.  Both have been quite successful in years gone past.  Both hate the Steelers and Patriots as well (I’m guessing).
What's the best-case scenario for you this season?
Mike: We need the playoffs, it's been 3 long years, and I think Harbaugh is on his last chance. Best case is AFC Championship Game
Stephen: Best Case, win the Superbowl.
Scott: Best case scenario this season is 11-5 I think. Few tough games in there that are winnable if we put up points like we did towards the end of last season and keep the defence rested enough.
Marc: A strong showing in the regular season can lead to anything happening in the playoffs as we’ve seen before.
And what's the worst-case scenario?
Mike: In the words of Jeff Fisher...some 7-9 bullshit, and we end up 3rd below even the Bengals
Stephen: The playoffs.
Scott: Worst case, we could fall as low as 6-10.
Marc: A couple of season ending injuries could really put an end to any hope of making the playoffs.
Is Lamar Jackson the long-term successor to Joe Flacco?
Mike: You would like to hope so, but it's just too early to tell at this time. There are too many horrible examples of promising QB's that don't make the cut. The worry is, if not Lamar Jackson, then who...
Stephen: Hell yes I’m so excited for LJ8 he’s going to be great and he will learn a lot this year and we will see him excel, I can’t wait.
Scott: The big question for Ravens fans is whether Jackson is a successor for Flacco. Honestly, I think it’s hard to find a franchise QB. We are lucky to have an element of consistency with Flacco. He’s given us a Lombardi and multiple playoff runs. Jackson is raw and needs to learn. A few years and he’ll have a chance to fill the shoes but long term? Time will tell.
Marc: Time will tell I guess.  A great season from flacco makes it hard for the ravens to put in Jackson.  We could be looking at a Favre/Rodgers situation with Jackson sitting on the sidelines for a year or 2.

Predict your record for this season, and how far (if at all) you will go in the postseason: 
Mike: 10-6, maybe 11-5, dare I say we even pip the Steelers to the division title. No playoffs and I think Harbaugh is gone, so I think that divisional rounds would be good
Stephen: I’ll go 10-6 and I hope all the way to the Super Bowl.
Scott: Like I said, would love to see the Ravens hold the Lombardi but I think the Texans, with a healthy Watson throwing to Hopkins could go far. If not, the Rams.
Marc: 11-5 and to go all the way this year.
Tell us who you think will be lifting the Lombardi Trophy in Atlanta on February 3rd next year?
Mike: It's the NFC's league at the moment, I think. The Packers or the Saints maybe...
Stephen: I’d love it to be my Ravens but if not it would be nice to see the Jags get it.
Anything else you'd like to promote?
Stephen: Come check out Touchdown House we’re a family type group full of NFL fans and loads to get stuck into 🙂  https://www.facebook.com/groups/touchdownauctionhouse/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: “The Curse of the Super Bowl Hosts”

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: The Alternative NFL Awards 2018

NFL Divisional Finals Preview and Predictions: By Kyle Balfour