Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The Carolina Panthers


Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The Carolina Panthers
For my half of the Go For It On Fourth preview for the 2018 NFL season, I decided to ask fans of every team questions about how they think their team will do this season. Instead of asking just one fan per team, I decided to get as many fans as I could involved. For some teams, that was several. For some teams, that was just one fan. But we very much appreciate everyone who got involved in our Preview for the 2018 Season!
Representing the Carolina Panthers:
Paul, West Yorkshire.
Clare, Dublin, Ireland, @DricoMonster.
Dave, Dundee, Scotland, @daveofduncan.
First off, sum up last season for us.
Paul: Last season went as expected in regular season but we were disappointed to lose in play offs. Offense struggled to maintain rhythm all year, Secondary was also worrying at times.
Clare: . I’d say last season was a good upgrade (11-5) in comparison to the season before (6-10). But out of the 5 games we lost there were teams we really shouldn’t be losing to. We came up short vs. New Orleans in the wildcard round of the playoffs, which was disappointing, and the Saints annoyingly ended up being our kryptonite. But I think we saw a few glimpses of what this team is capable of if it is managed properly.
Dave: Last season seems so far away but the first thing I think about is the playoff loss to the saints. That was a gutter having done so well to get there in the first place. But with struggles we did have (injuries etc) I'd say we done better than expected while also getting a glimpse of our future with CMC.
How was your offseason?
Clare: Our offseason was pretty good, some concern about the amount of points allowed against us but I reckon Panthers fans would agree that it means we were given some solid tests. 3-1 in an offseason ain’t bad. I think business matters off the field dominated our offseason more than those on it. We have a brand new owner in David Tepper, who in my opinion has come into the team like a breath of fresh air and seems to have bonded with the players already. Feels like a totally new look Panthers organization compared to the one under Jerry Richardson — and OMG we finally got rid of Mike Shula as our OC, thank god!
Dave: Loved the offseason this year. We'll have a reshuffled o-line but we're looking sharp. Tepper coming in as the new owner looks very positive too.
Key additions from free agency and the Draft?
Paul: Key additions - Dontari Poe, Torrey Smith, Jarius Wright , CJ Anderson in FA  - & DJ Moore, Ian Thomas & Donte Jackson in Draft.
Clare: DRAFT: Panthers fans wanted a serious wide receiver pick, and they got it. D. J. Moore was huge. I’d like to think Steve Smith’s endorsement after the pick tells you how highly this guy is rated. Donte Jackson at CB excites me the most from the training camp reports. There were a lot of shouts from fans for Ian Thomas at TE as a solid backup option to Greg Olsen, so I’m happy we now have options in that area. FA: MORE WIDE RECEIVERS! Jeez, it’s crazy to think we started the offseason with just two starting WR options. Devin Funchess & Damiere Byrd were working overtime after Samuel’s injury. We badly needed WR’s, and Torrey Smith & Jarius Wright are welcome additions for experience. They’re part of my team now and I fully support them. I’m excited to see Dontari Poe, let’s just say — I’ve seen some things.
Dave: Moore was a big pickup. Steve Smith sees himself in him so here's hoping that comes to light. Torrey Smith will bring a good vet presence and Poe will be a great replacement for Star. We brought in CJ Anderson to help in that backfield too with Cmc. Looks a great 1-2 punch.
What's your hopes for this coming season?
Paul: If healthy! - 12-4 & then who knows in playoffs?!...But already have injuries to O-line. Key players have to stay healthy otherwise could be 9-7 or worse.
Clare: Honestly — I just hope Norv Turner gets us playing some great offensive football. This Panthers offensive line has been such a work in progress despite us having some really good players. I’ve always believed that all we need is good management and things will fall into place. The defense has been getting lots of praise in the offseason, as it always was under Steve Wilks. If we are to win a Super Bowl, defense needs to hold up — and offense needs to show up.
Dave: I'm hoping for everything like we all are but realistically, I'd love a division win and a return to the playoffs. Rivera has never had two straight winning seasons. Hoping this year is when that statistic changes.
What's your thoughts on your starting quarterback?
Paul: Cam is like marmite - even some Panthers fans don't like him. I personally think he's a top 5 QB so there's only a handful of guys I would even think of swapping him for. He's erratic at times but some of his plays are just fantastic.
Clare: If Cam Newton wasn’t my quarterback, I’d wish he was my quarterback. His personality is polarizing, some folks wish he’d stop clowning around but when he has fun so do I. I feel people will watch his performances this season with a magnifying glass, and won’t hesitate to jump on his back like always when he has a bad game. I’m really counting on him to show out this season. He needs to.
Dave: Cam is Cam. People either love him or despise him. Big year for him though. He'll be playing in a new scheme for the first time in his pro career but he's been shredding and looks to have lost some weight while gaining muscle. He's gonna be harder to catch this year.
And your thoughts on your head coach?
Paul: Coach Rivera is simply the classiest coach there is. He's brought a winning culture to the team and I think he's brilliant.
Clare: Ron Rivera, like Cam Newton, is entering his 8th season with us. Rivera has coached one of the better periods in our history. Having said that, this season heavily relies on him to get it right. I think many Panthers fans wanted him gone at some point in the last two seasons. There will be a lot more pressure on him under the new ownership to adapt his management style. It’s alarming that he’s among 8 favorites regarding which coach will get the sack first this season according to ESPN. I don’t like him very much, and I wouldn’t be sad to see him moved on if he doesn’t deliver.
Dave: Like I said before. Rivera has never had a back to back winning record season. He's the guy we're sticking with and you won't hear any complaints from me. He knows the team and knows what we all want.
A player that will be key for you this season?
Paul: Christian McCaffrey. He will be Cams go-to-guy and looks to have progressed since his rookie year. Get him in your fantasy teams!
Clare: ? Christian McCaffrey at RB. I like that he’s been utilized more in our offseason. He’s going to be highly important for our running game. Rivera loves running the ball, we moved on Johnathan Stewart in free agency — and I strongly believe McCaffrey is the one to take up his snaps and can get better line breaks. His speed makes him a player that oppositions will find hard to handle and we need to maximize that.
Dave: CMC will be the key player for us this season. He's bulked up and judging by preseason, he's running through those tackles and gaining plenty yards. Shaq Thompson is also key while Thomas Davis serves his 4-game suspension. He's looking sharp too.
And who would you happily drive to their next club?
Paul: I would happily have driven Kelvin Benjamin out last year, but the Bills did us a favour. This year it's Matt Kalil. Too inconsistent and for 55m we haven't got our money's worth at Left Tackle. His nickname is Turnstile- that tells you everything.
Clare: Panthers fans will agree with me — Matt Kalil.
Dave: Matt Kalil. He's robbing us blind. We can't cut him due to the cap hit and he's been terrible since we signed him. He'll be starting the season on IR so it'll be interesting to see what Moton will be able to do in his absence. Hopefully cement that starting spot.
What made you choose to support your team?
Paul: I got into NFL in general in the 80's and the Panthers in particular playing Madden circa 2003. I was attracted to logo and kit - it's still the coolest in the league. They went on to go to the big game that year and I was hooked.
Dave: It was a random choice but one I'm glad I made. I love the sense of brotherhood we have. I'm sure most teams have it but seeing what we've been able to achieve when we've been doubted is always a highlight.
For a first-time NFL fan, tell us some reasons why they should support your team?
Paul: You should choose the Panthers because they are already a good team but now have potential to be great franchise . New owner looks to be a great so far and he has big plans. Plus, if you like excitement our games are always fun to watch. We're not called Cardiac Cats for nothing!
Clare: I firmly believe that there’s a beauty and a family spirit about this team that folks will fall in love with like I did. Everyone plays an important part in making the Panthers great. It’s a lot of fun. Plus, I truly feel that Panthers twitter is the best sports team social media account on the internet along with Sir Purr — who is a GOAT team mascot. The Panthers have always reached out to me and made me feel special. As the motto says, “the fan is the most valuable part of our team”. And if you’re from the U.K., Tom Glick is our new president and has a ton of experience from the Premier League. There’s a pretty good chance you could see your new favorite team play in a stadium in your country with this development. (Editor’s Note: Clare combined this with the above question on why she decided to support her team.)
Dave: We're all about fun on offence and toughness on defence. Cam has the swag and positivity that gets us all excited every drive and Kuechly commands that field like a missile every down. They really are a joy to watch.
Compare your team to a European football club.
Clare: Juventus (Italy) — great team with great players capable of amazing things, very iffy head coach.
Dave: I'd probably go Man City. I've no idea why. We've had chances in the Super Bowl but never quite reached those heights. We've dominated our division in the past 5 years too so similar I guess to City in the Premier League and Champions League I guess. (been to the final but never quite reached the trophy)
What's the best-case scenario for you this season?
Clare: WIN THE SUPER BOWL! If not, at the very least have a good go and hope the team stays as healthy as possible.
Dave: I'd be happy with divisional round but of course I wanna see us return to the Bowl.
And what's the worst-case scenario?
Clare: How low can ya go? 0-16. Don’t go there.
Dave: No playoffs. Poor divisional results and a week 1 loss. I don't wanna bear witness to a defeat live in Charlotte.
With Kelvin Benjamin gone, who will break through and be the Panthers' top option at wide receiver for Cam Newton this season?
Paul: DJ Moore should break through - but this year might be too soon. So keep an eye out for Samuel- if he's healthy he will be dynamite. Olsen and McCaffrey will always see more targets as they're so dependable.
Clare: I think Benjamin’s form, and his mouth, since leaving the Panthers shows that he was never a top WR option for us to begin with — last season Devin Funchess was the priority and I think he will want to nail down this position this season. I really hope D.J. Moore storms his rookie season. I think the top option will be between these two.
Dave: The obvious answer would be Devin Funchess, he's shown flashes after the KB trade but look out for Dj Moore and Curtis Samuel to make names for themselves. Mr. Reliable Greg Olsen will be in the running as always too.
Predict your record for this season, and how far (if at all) you will go in the postseason.
Paul: 12-4 I'll stick with - no reason why we can't go to Atlanta and win it all. That would be a huge personal goal for Cam. We have to believe, right?
Clare: I’d be happy with 12-4 or 11-5 for the regular season. We need to keep improving. I’d love us to make it to the Super Bowl, but if this team was to make an NFC Championship game or the playoff round prior — I’d be pretty proud.
Dave: I've not properly studied our schedule yet but as long as it's a winning record and we make playoffs, happy man right here.
Tell us who you think will be lifting the Lombardi Trophy in Atlanta on February 3rd next year?
Clare: Heart — Carolina Panthers. Head — Jacksonville Jaguars.
Dave: Anyone but the Pats? I don't know why but I have a feeling the Steelers may go far…Call it a hunch.
Anything else to promote?
Clare: As mentioned above, try to post as many good tweets on my Twitter as possible.
Dave: Check out Radar23 www.radar23.co.uk, launching soon for gaming, TV and film thoughts, news and opinions! Also, over on Facebook on https://www.facebook.com/radar23uk/, Twitter https://twitter.com/radar23_uk, and Instagram https://www.instagram.com/radar23.co.uk/.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: “The Curse of the Super Bowl Hosts”

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: The Alternative NFL Awards 2018

NFL Divisional Finals Preview and Predictions: By Kyle Balfour