Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The New York Jets


Go For It On Fourth Fan Preview 2018: The New York Jets
For my half of the Go For It On Fourth preview for the 2018 NFL season, I decided to ask fans of every team questions about how they think their team will do this season. Instead of asking just one fan per team, I decided to get as many fans as I could involved. For some teams, that was several. For some teams, that was just one fan. But we very much appreciate everyone who got involved in our Preview for the 2018 Season!
Representing the New York Jets:

Greg C, Dundee/Perth, @GregWMChristie
Annika, Stockholm, Sweden, @TramadolAndGin
Mark Grice, Hertfordshire, @Markthegrice
Greg S, Jets, @GregConnorSmith
First off, sum up last season for us.
Greg C: Dreadful but not surprising.
Mark: a strange one! Everyone expected the jets to tank. I actually think it was our intention to tank but in true jets fashion we seemed to get that wrong at the start of the season and actually started quite positively with the lack of talent we had. All started going to “plan” soon though and the losses flowed! In the end, I think the group of players we had over performed last year but it still didn’t stop us from having one of the worst records in the nfl as recent history has become the norm.
Greg S: Last season gave us Jets fans two things, hope and frustration. Hope because we ended up winning 5 games when we were looked upon as the worst team in the league. And frustration because we were in so many games late into the fourth quarter before collapsing. It became comical, just waiting for it to happen each week.
How was your offseason?
Greg C: Draft was decent. I reckon Darnold has done enough to secure starter position. Can only see where the actual season goes though.
Annika: The off-season was as good as it was ever going to get for the Jets. The problem is we have a lot of long-term holes that need to be filled but the front office did what they had to do to bring in Darnold. New OC Jeremy Bates is already fighting an uphill battle with no real WR or TE options working with a rookie QB or McCown. Combined with a defensive HC it will be a struggle to put points on the board this year. Pryor and Johnson were key in the off-season.
Mark: Actually very positive.
Greg S: However, I do feel that we made strides this off-season. We signed a reliable center with plenty of experience and had QB insurance with McCown returning and the wildcard in Bridgewater which resulted in a future 3rd round pick so offensively a good haul with wildcards thrown in for good measure such as Pryor. Defensively, pairing an established CB such as Trumaine with that young safety tandum should also shore up the secondary and prevent the big plays we were guaranteed to give up at least one each week.
Key additions from free agency and the Draft?
Greg C: Really pushing for depth in the quarterback position and in defence. Well needed.
Annika: Draft was obviously Darnold, but Johnson to a 5-year deal was by far the biggest signing. Two big safeties and a corner will be sure we don’t allow points. The problem will be putting them up.
Mark: Obviously we have picked up a huge talent in Sam Darnold and I think he could actually be the franchise QB that we have craved for so long. Tyrell’s Pryor is a good addition to a talented WR corps with Anderson, Enuwa and Kearse. Also we have Strengthened at RB with Crowell & West joining which will allow Bilal Powell some freedom for clutch passes.
Greg S: With regards to the draft, obviously Darnold is the headline there. I don't want to jump on the hype train, although it is difficult not to, I'm very excited to finally have a QB who looks like the real deal. He reminds me of Andrew Luck when he first started for the course. I see a lot of similarties with his ability to go through his reads and limit his mistakes. He already a grasp of the offense and the game appears to have slowed down for him. All good signs. So now we wait for Monday night under the bright lights.
What's your hopes for this coming season?
Greg C: Playoffs would be nice at least. As a fan, I’m going to take it week by week and see where it lands but hopefully there’s vast improvement from last season.
Annika: Hopes for the coming season? Don’t lose to the Browns and don’t get fucked vigorously by the Pats.
Greg S: This coming season, I just want to see progress. I'm not expecting playoffs. Sure, it would be nice. But I just want a team that looks like they're maybe only a few playmaker away from contending. A few missing pieces. I'm sure I speak for many Jets fans when I say that. You need to be realistic. Darnold like every other rookie will have growing pains too. Peyton Manning was horrendous his rookie year, went 3-13 and then 13-3 the following year. You just need to see something. Not all about the wins.
What's your thoughts on your starting quarterback?
Greg C: I reckon Darnold starts based off of the preseason so far. I think we took him early for a reason as well.
Mark: (Written before announced Darnold was the starter): We don’t yet know who that is... it’s likely to be McCown come week 1 and I was pleasantly surprised by him last year. Personally I would stick big Sammy D in there and let him cut his teeth.
Greg S: I believe Darnold rightly won the job. It's a difficult first 3 games, but you need to let the rookies learn. Throw them in the deep end straight away. The more experience, the quicker they learn. I'm not expecting 3-0, but they're all winnable games.
And your thoughts on your head coach?
Greg C: This season is crunch time for Bowles. Another season like last year and he’ll be looking for another job pretty fast. Depending on how bad it is, he might not last the season but that’s worst case scenario. I think he would’ve done his homework and has made a lot of good moves in the offseason. We can only hope it all leads to something.
Mark: I really like Todd, I think he has done ok with the rubbish hand he has been given. We need the people above Todd to invest or move on.
Greg S: Bowes isn't apparently on the hot seat and doesn't have a playoff mandate but we'll see. If this team wins 5 or less games with a comfortable schedule, then I don't see how ownership can justify his return. I do believe we'll increase our win total from last year though. Bowles is a good, disciplined, no nonsense coach and I feel he is the right man for the job. Rex overstayed his welcome, but he went to two straight afc championship games in his first 2 years. Bowles is yet to make the playoffs. All eyes will be on him.
A player that will be key for you this season?
Greg C: Isaiah Crowell. With Forte retired, the floor is his to really shine through. While Darnold at QB will likely be a good addition to the team, in his rookie year, it’s not unlikely he’ll make a few mistakes in his passing game against experienced defences. In this situation, I think utilising the running game will come in handy. Crowell is a big guy and the power he’ll bring with that will catch a lot of defences off guard. I think he’s gonna turn quite a few heads when given the opportunity.
Annika: I want to like Pryor but to say he’s key is doing him far too much credit. He’s not in New York for long and I doubt he’ll be catching much. It may be too soon to say but Avery Williamson impressed me in preseason and could prove to be an amazing LB down the road.
Mark: I’m hoping Sam Darnold but looking past the obvious, I would say it’s more a group of players. That being our secondary. This is our strongest area in my opinion. But I also tip Quincy Enuwa to have a good season.
Greg S: Not so much a player but a unit, the offensive line. This starting line has yet to play together. Due to injuries, a few players were held out of the lineup. The chemistry hasn't been developed and we've yet to see how strong they are together. They have the most important job - protect the rookie. We don't want another David Carr situation where Darnold takes 76 sacks or more. This is where I'll be giving my most attention.
And who would you happily drive to their next club?
Greg C: None come to mind right now. That’ll probably change in the season though.
Annika: I’d happily drive Spencer Long back to Nebraska if I could. Horrible out of the center and if he was too poor for the Redskins I’m not holding much hope.
Mark: How long you got ๐Ÿ˜‰ seriously though, I don’t hate any one player as long as they are pulling in the same direction.
Greg S: The outside linebackers. No one is afraid of that group. We lack a true pass rusher. We'll be stout against the run but we'll be relying on coverage sacks as our D-lineman will be the only true pass rush. I hope I'm wrong but I feel this will be our biggest weakness this year and will cost us games.
What made you choose to support your team?
Annika: What made me pick the Jets? Probably the parody of itself when it comes to the draft. The history, simple colours, and of course the rivalry with the Giants.
Mark: Well it’s through blind loyalty. I’ve always had half an eye on NFL until about 10 years ago when I started really getting in to it. I went to New York with my wife and decided I would support an NY team. Walked into a sports shop and decided on green over blue there and then (obviously the wrong choice ๐Ÿ˜‚) however due to me being as loyal as a dog (and as stubborn) I have not nor will ever change.
Greg S: My dad began watching the Jets in 1982 and I grew up with him watching the NFL every Sunday. It wasn't until the 2002 season with Chad Pennington under center that I truly found myself paying attention to the game though. I loved him as a player and the team were in the playoffs that year. And I've always liked an underdog.
For a first-time NFL fan, tell us some reasons why they should support your team?
Annika: Why someone should choose the Jets? You’ll never be called a glory chaser, you’ll always have a devoted fan base with you, and you might actually get drafted by them if you play your cards right.
Mark: The good old-fashioned underdog. We play second fiddle to the giants but have the potential to cause an upset, we just rarely do! Supporting the jets is a bit like being an England football fan! Regularly get ourselves in a position to win and cause an upset but you’re always waiting to be let down. That said, when we do taste success it makes it even sweeter (hopefully). We are also, I believe, in the most competitive division in the NFL.
Greg S: I certainly think we're a team on the rise. We have a young core, a potential franchise QB and close to $100 million in cap room next off-season to attack the free agency class. After years of disappointment and purgatory, I think we're ready to leave the afc basement.
Compare your team to a European football club.
Greg C: Dundee FC. The past few years, there’s been some good players coming onboard but a lack of formation, game plan and confidence has led to a lot of struggling and a lot of underperformance. Not unlike my hometown team.
Annika: Leeds United- used to be good but killed by inept ownership.
Mark: As above but also that team that are hyped but never deliver maybe a Tottenham Hotspur! It just so happens I am a spurs, jets and England fan! Glutton for punishment ๐Ÿ˜‚
What's the best-case scenario for you this season?
Greg C: I think most realistic to qualify in the wildcard position. Where we go from there is up for debate but as I said before, I’m taking it week by week.
Annika: Best case scenario is to stay healthy, give Darnold some experience, and not to lose to the Browns.
Mark: I’m on the hype train. I think if and that’s a big if it all clicks we could secure a wildcard spot. That the best case.
Greg S (Combined with European team): Leicester maybe? Not expecting another championship. Only won it once. Very unlikely to happen again anytime soon but enough talent to win enough games to be in the conversation late into the year.
And what's the worst-case scenario?
Greg C: Worst-case scenario is completely tanking the season and God help us. Finishing behind the browns.
Greg S (Combined with European team): Probably Aston Villa. Recently promoted with promise of enough talent for some success but could easily bomb and resort back to sheer disappointment.
Teddy Bridgewater: Start, Bench or Trade? (Question written before his trade to the Saints. Answers vary.)
Annika: Bridgewater was traded. Which is a shame since he’s the best Jets QB I’ve seen in my lifetime. Farewell sweet prince.
Mark: I think I mentioned it earlier. Trade bait for me.
Predict your record for this season, and how far (if at all) you will go in the postseason.
Greg C: 9-7. Wildcard qualifying and maybe the next round but that’s a big maybe. Again. Taking it week by week.
Annika: Best record I see for us is 6-10, worst is 2-14.
Mark: Anything above .500 would be amazing and I think we could do it.
Greg S: Personally, I think we'll be around the 7-9 mark. 9-7 is our absolute ceiling. We proved the critics wrong last year so we can do it again this year with a light schedule and improved team.
Tell us who you think will be lifting the Lombardi Trophy in Atlanta on February 3rd next year?
Greg C: Got a feeling about the Packers right now. Rodgers will be back with a vengeance.
Annika: I think this is the Rams’ year. Great coaching, the right offseason moves, and they’ve got a strong core on both sides of the ball.
Mark: Can’t look past those pesky Patriots but I think the Vikings will be close again.
Greg S: Very difficult to say this early, but if Rodgers stays healthy, I do like the Packers but the Rams could also be in the conversation.
Anything else you'd like to promote?
Greg C: Check out my band Howlett. We’re on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and have our debut single ‘Dear Leonard’ out September 1st on all major platforms such as Spotify, Apple Music, iTunes, Amazon Music etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: “The Curse of the Super Bowl Hosts”

Super Bowl LIII Coverage: The Alternative NFL Awards 2018

NFL Divisional Finals Preview and Predictions: By Kyle Balfour